Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Personal Sized Tart Cherry Crisps

I went cherry picking with my little ones over the weekend (it was a very fun filled fruity weekend).  We came home with 14 pounds of Tart Cherries.  We only kept 8 pounds (thank goodness) because pitting that many cherries is very time consuming! Three pounds went to my neighbor and three pounds went to my mom.


My mom showed me her very clever way of pitting cherries.  You need a very cheap fork that will be easy to bend.  Fold back the two outer tines at the base with a set of needle nose pliers.  Then, with the two inner tines, fold just the very tips together and forward to create a little hook.



You will be able to pierce the cherry near the stem hole and hook the pit just underneath to pull it through the stem hole.  You don't end up with a "perfect" machine-processed cherry, but you are left with all of the meat of the cherry with very minimal effort.



Most of the cherries I placed onto cookie sheets and froze.  Once frozen, I dumped them into freezer zip-loc bags and they all went back into the freezer.


I reserved two cups of cherries to make personal sized tart cherry crisps right away.  And oh was it good!



I didn't even get a chance to take a picture of them all before 4 of them disappeared!  These remaining two will be just fine in the refrigerator until I sneak a snack tomorrow.



Personal Sized Tart Cherry Crisps

Cherries
   -2 c fresh tart cherries, pitted
   -1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
   -1/4 tsp. almond extract
   -2 TBS granulated sugar
   -1/2 TBS cornstarch
 
Topping
   -2 TBS flour
   -2 TBS brown sugar
   -2 TBS granulated sugar
   -1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
   -1/8 tsp salt
   -2 TBS cold butter, cut into small pieces
   -1/3 cup old fashioned oats

Directions
   -Preheat oven to 375 degrees
   -In a medium bowl, toss together all ingredients for the cherries, then divide the cherries into six small 4oz canning jars
   -Rinse out medium mixing bowl to combine the topping ingredients
   -Whisk together flour, sugars, cinnamon & salt.
   -Add butter and oats.  Mix together until crumbly.
   -Top the cherries with the topping
   -Bake until the topping is lightly brown (approx. 25 minutes)
   -Enjoy!

Let me know if you try this recipe out!  It's a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)