Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dinner's Ready: Big Don Pizza

Just popping in today to tell you about what we made for dinner.  



If you know us at all, it's no secret that our family loves Donatos Pizza.  They recently came out with a new specialty pizza modeled after one of their popular subs called the Big Don.  We decided to give it a whirl home made style.  I made the dough in our bread maker on the dough setting.  The recipe I've been using for a while now is pretty simple: Our Favorite Pizza Dough

Our bread machine instructs us to put all wet ingredients in before the dry.

1 cup + 2 TBS water
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp dried granulated yeast

That recipe makes enough for two large pizzas.


Once I spread the dough over our baking stone using a little corn meal for the bottom, I bake the crust for just a few minutes at 400 degrees until it's just a little browned.

Next comes sauce and cheese. I saved the provolone for last above all of the rest of the toppings and I went very light on the mozzarella since I knew I'd be adding extra cheese to the top of the pizza.


Salami, tomato, ham, & banana peppers, too.  (Not pictured: Italian Seasoning.  It's a deal breaker if you don't use it.)


Homemade Big Don, in all its glory.  This baked in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes.


Just writing up this post makes me want to sneak back down stairs for the last piece tucked away in the fridge.  What are your favorite toppings? Do you like to branch out and try new combinations? Or do you stick with your tried and true?

-Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)