Friday, March 29, 2013

Basement Daydream

Last Friday I shared with you some doors I found that I thought would be so beautiful to use in the basement. Well, we are officially in the pre-peliminary, pre-planning phase of our basement.  That may have sounded a little superfluous, but we are really in no way, shape, or form ready to start this basement.  It's just fun to dream about it and start sketching it up! My husband's good friend told him about a free program called SketchUp.  You are able to essentially build an exact replica of your home.  It even has furniture that you can add in and then move around. (That may or may not be my favorite part).

SketchUp


Once Bryan downloaded the program, he began feverishly running up and down the stairs to measure, remeasure, plot and scheme.  This is what he came up with as far as the "bare bones" of the basement go.


Ideally, we'd love to have a guest bedroom, sitting room with a television & toy storage, laundry room, seasonal storage room, and full bathroom somewhere in this space.

If you want to use SketchUp, there are some great video tutorials on the site that you can follow along with to learn the program. It takes some trial and error, but eventually starts going quicker the more you work with it.

I'm really hoping this program will allow Bryan and I to be able to visualize what each other are talking about (because let's be honest, men are from Mars).  Plus, it will give us the option to see many different possibilities all at once without having to ever lift a hammer!  Or a couch.  Or a paint brush!  Did I mention you can change the color of the walls?!  Amazing.

Do you have any larger than life plans in the works?  What methods do you use to decide how to design a room or one large space that you want to use for many different uses?  Hope you have a wonderful weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)